Wednesday, November 12, 2008

11-13 Homework

While looking at classmates' blogs I found one about the debate between gay marriage versus civil unions. From this blog, I learned about the different view points that each Presidential candidate had: they were both opposed to gay marriage. I learned that Obama was in fact supportive of civil unions but out of respect for the concept of the Christian faith he would define marriage as a union between a man and a woman. Until reading this blog I was under the impression that McCain was opposed to gay marriage and Obama supported gay marriage but now I understand that Obama supports civil unions which is not the same thing. My question for that blog was: "As part of our PHL 118 Homework, I have one question for you about your blog. From this, I agree with your opinions about marriage being between only a man and a woman and that gay couples should be able to participate in civil unions. I am wondering, legally, what are the differences between civil unions and marriages? What type of benefits are there for a couple to be considered married as opposed to one that is under a civil union, for example, in regards to health care, adoption, etc.?"

Another part of the assignment was to answer the question that someone else had posted on your blog but there was none to be found on my blog at this time.

No comments: